Monday, December 6, 2010

Bye for now gentoo, trying Ubuntu for a bit

So... after 7 years of running gentoo on the main home server which does a variety of things, I decided to switch over to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS this past weekend.  Over the past 7 months I've been running Ubuntu 9.10 on a Zotac MAG HD-ND01 which is a very decent MythTV/Boxee/XBMC frontend machine with thoughts of buying more frontend nettop devices to stream from the media server (I cut the cable on cable TV last month). I started thinking that I don't want to maintain three+ machines running Ubuntu and then have to match software versions ( MythTV especially ) on the gentoo server.  It took me quite a few months of pondering back an forth about switching from gentoo and finally bit the bullet. I've experienced the breakage of Fedora for desktops at work in the past but have had machines at work running Ubuntu 10.04; the results were great and the end users did not seem to mind at all either.
I was almost tempted to try out Avahi media server but that is based on Fedora and somewhere down the road I might look into Avahi, sounds like a VM project.  I'm going to miss the ultimate control of gentoo but with two kids and lots of things on the honey-do list I'm thinking that Ubuntu will provide the same wealth of packages. This will also free up extra time watching/fixing emerge issues plus now I'm playing with KDE again and that is quite a lot of time to compile. Kudos to both gentoo and Ubuntu devs/forums/supporters, my transition is 100% complete. I must say the upgrade to MythTV 0.23 from 0.22+fixes in combination with the distro switch was very easy and was running a do-release-upgrade on the Zotac machine during the switchover. There was only a minor lirc.conf hiccup on the Zotac upgrade and now both machines are humming along on 10.04.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment