Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sandboxie saves me a rebuild

Are you the tech support for your family like I am... you look for apps( secunia PSI, noscript, flashblock, etc...) to save time and energy with click-happy relatives or risky surfing.  Do yourself and favor and buy them a lifetime license for www.sandboxie.com.  I was not 100% sure that my Dad used Sandboxie exclusively since I did say that he can only bookmark things out of the sandbox to be persistent ( he's not ready for syncing nor does he want a google/yahoo type account).
The other day Dad calls me up and says there is a pop-up screen on his computer saying this anti-virus software has detected that the computer is infected and he should purchase the product.... ah gotta love the ransomware.  Dad also stated that he could not close the window nor could he get anywhere on the net after some time. I asked if he had logged into his back and he said yes so I made him change all the passwords that he had been to recently just to be safe.... Now I'm thinking, oh crap!!  now I have to rebuild his XP machine from scratch.  As I'm driving up the road one my way home from work the "light" finally comes on, I call and ask if he ever surfs without sandboxie and he says only on trusted sites and to bookmark, sweet! he is following y instructions unlike most users. I walked him through clearing the entire sandbox contents and told him to surf around a few days to know sites to make sure the fake AV popups were gone and did not really infect the OS.... almost a week now and all is AOK.  Thanks to sandboxie!!

No comments:

Post a Comment