Thursday, December 9, 2010

A few weeks without cable TV.. almost went back

Heard about the Disney-ABC deal with Netflix?  Seen all the TV shows in iTunes? ( I know DRM hell , get to that later ) . What an abundance of show over the Internets!!  I know I could just fire up the torrent client and get everything illegal but trying to stay legit although freeing your iTunes of DRM with requiem might be considered illegal but I'm not going to pirate my purchases, I just want them viewable via MythTV, Boxee or XBMC frontends.  Looks like ala-carte has started from my point of view... I'm just going to purchase what I can't watch via Netflix and there is Amazon and now recent newcomer Vudu for rentals and purchases too.  I figured that even if I purchased HD versions of the Disney and Nickelodeon shows for my son via iTunes that it would cost half of what we were paying for cable each month.
Do I miss cable? Nope, but try and rationalize with a 9 year old that you are not paying $60 a month for three boxes( HD, HD DVR and standard ) just so he can watch Disney and Nickelodeon shows. He has been riding me since I cut the cord until tonight when I loaded up the Netflix queue with three of his favorite Disney shows. I've been betting that having a traditional TV is going bye-bye one day and I think that day has come.  In combination with Netflix and Boxee, I've also been running a MythTV server with two HD OTA antennas fed into a www.silicondust.com HD HomeRun for quite a few months which takes care of my 4 year old with MPT and PBS just fine. My wife and I just record whatever interests us on the the major networks, it is very rare that we watch live tv these days.  Also, I've been ripping our purchased DVD's with Handbrake on both OSX(mini) and Linux(Ubuntu) and feeding them into MythVideo so the kids can watch programs on either of the two main computers in the house. Maybe one day I'll post a diagram of my home setup?

No comments:

Post a Comment